Nutrition is extremely important to dairy cows. It requires a lot of knowledge and attention to make sure the dairy cow is getting all the nutritional demands their bodies require.
Our cows are fed twice a day with a balanced ration. This balanced ration includes hay, corn, grains, minerals, and vitamins. This is all mixed together in a mixer and fed out to the herd.
We harvest 70 acres of hay every year. The fields are located across the town. Our farm buys in all of our corn and grains.
Every month we have our local vet visit our farm. During this time we check all the cows that have been bred since the last time they were at our farm to check for pregnancies. Farmers like to make sure a cow has a calf every year. This helps the cow keep producing milk. If the cow did not have a calf yearly the production will eventually be nothing. As well as checking for pregnancies, the vet will examine the whole herd and make sure everything cow/calf is looking healthy and will address any situations we may have.
Since our cows are like are family, we make sure they get all the following…
- Fresh feed fed twice a day
- Free choice water offered at multiple waterers in barn
- Inches of sand bedding to lay on
- Beds cleaned and raked out daily
- Hooves are trimmed twice a year to make sure feet are in good/comfortable condition
- Vet checks herd every month to make sure animal health is in good standing
- Monitored 24/7
- Fans automatically turn on at 65 degrees (above 70 degrees can be a stress on cows)
- Recorded data and events for every animal
They get all the above… and then some. (Depending on age.)